Monday 19 November 2018

Along the road to Gundagai, NSW

Before we went to Orange we drove passed Gundagai NSW not going into the town, we found a lookout and photo's are of the view we had from the caravan window whilst we ate lunch.

Songs and poems have been written around the area of Gundagai because the town represents a typical country town in Australia.

The song 'Along the road to Gundagai' was the theme song for 'Dad and Dave' and radio serial many years back.

Words to a song which was popular many years ago was written and sung by Jack O'Hagan.

   

Well there's a track winding back to an old fashioned shack
Along the road to Gundagai
Where the gums are growin' and the Murrumbidgee's flowin'
Beneath the sunny sky
There's my mother and daddy are waitin' for me
And the pals of my childhood once more I will see
And no more will I roam 'cos I'm headin' right for home
Along the road to Gundagai

There's my mother and daddy are waitin' for me
And the pals of my childhood once more I will see
And no more will I roam 'cos I'm headin' right for home
Along the road to Gundagai

Later in years made popular by the late Slim Dusty. This was the only version I could find!








Photo below was along the road, and never seen a yellow windmill before there was only a split second to take the photo out the window of the vehicle as we began to go around a bend.


32 comments:

  1. Margaret, one can tell you're a really good photographer when you can take such a beautiful photo as that last one out the car window, going around the bend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it was a fluke Jean..I spied the yellow windmill from a distance so was ready.

      Delete
  2. Muy bellos paisajes en el camino.
    Hasta la última fotogrfía has logrado enfocar bien a pesar de su dificultad.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did manage with the last photo and was pleased how it turned out...going around a corner going a bit slower than going on a straight road.

      Delete
  3. Hello Margaret,
    Nice shots of these wonderful landscapes.
    Great,

    Kind regards,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Australian landscapes are really very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Countryside I am very familiar with - and love.
    I suspect it is nothing like that green at the moment though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to capture the landscapes as you travel and given the conditions under which you took the pictures they came out remarkably well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, always a challenge and happy when they turn out ok.

      Delete
  7. The song was the first thing to come to mind when I saw the title of the post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again you've shared some lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. A backtrack from previous town.
    Gundagai has quite an interesting history. More a pity that you didn't go into
    the town. The statue of the "Dog on the Tuckerbox" is quite an attraction, but with
    by-passes galore these days, people are mostly more interested in getting from A to B at the fastest possible way. Thus for the rural communities we have dying townships which is very sad, I think.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearly forgot Gundagai - opps, but made up for it.
      No time to drive through the town unfortunately, we often do drive through country towns because they do have much to offer.

      Delete
  10. I prefer Jack O'Hagans recording. I really liked Gundagai. Yes, same lookout point. this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes same lookout. Thanks for the link, I looked :)
      Jack who wrote it does do it well. I'm not a fan of Slim's.

      Delete
  11. This place sounds really interesting and beautiful dear Margaret!

    loved the music you shared here

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got to hear some new music today-- new to me, I mean. I enjoyed the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely views in those photos. I'm wondering if the yellow windmill is new and in years to come the yellow will fade and be gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could well be new River, or maybe painted recently but I could see it in the distance and it's more vivid than in the photo.

      Delete
  14. Bom dia, as paisagens são lindas e bem captadas, a boas fotos estão bem acompanhadas musicalmente.
    Continuação de feliz semana,
    AG

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for calling and your comment.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop