The town was founded in 1883, initially as a port and supply centre for the surrounding region, and is the administrative centre for the Shire of Carnarvon. The town site was officially gazetted on 4 June 1891, named after Henry Herbert, 4th Earl of Carnarvon.
Bananas are grown in the area known as Cavendish. Tomatoes, grapefuit, mangoes and table grapes.
Cattle, goats, sheep and wool.
There is also mining, fishing and tourism.
During the 1960s, NASA set up a tracking station nearby to support the Gemini and Apollo space programs. The tracking station was closed in the mid-1970s. Only the foundations of the historical site remain.
A Jetty, one of several.
A couple of buildings in the main street of Carnarvon WA
The little train goes to the end of this Jetty.
A small outdoor Museum below.
The Police Station at Carnarvon WA
The Aboriginal, Western Australian and the Australian Flag.