The Buckland timber mill operated from 1948 till 1981.
Approximately 55 Anglican Churches if not more are to be sold as a result of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse here in Tasmania to fund it!
Cemeteries will be protected.
One such Anglican Church to be sold is the St. John the Baptist at Buckland. We were fortunate we called into Buckland and took photos of the Church on our travels this year.
'St. John the Baptist Church foundation stone was laid on 22 August 1846 by Fitzherbert Adams Marriott the arch deacon of Hobart. The inscription on the stone reads "That God may in this place be glorified, and the prayers and praises of the faithful continually offered until Christ shall come again". The inscription is now on the inside of the wall'..
The Buckland Inn was built about 1831 and behind it is a large area for self-contained caravans and RV's to park but of course no power but there are toilets. We didn't stop as we were heading to Hobart which is not that far away.
The above photo is where one wipes your dirty boots/shoes before entering the Church.