Friday, 4 September 2026

Orange, New South Wales

 Update Sunday 5, September - I can comment it seems, it's good to have that feature back!
Update:  I can't leave a comment on my blog or your blogs.  Blogger doesn't permit it.
I've tried the 'fix' according to the instructions but that doesn't work.  So another glitch!
I am visiting and reading your blogs and will keep trying to comment. It appears that I'm not the only one with this glitch. 
Thank you for commenting. 

Orange the name of the town we stayed in in Central New South Wales in the high country so it's colder there in the winter for sure.  We stayed there a few years back in the caravan in a caravan park and one morning we woke up to 'frost' like I've never seen before.  Oh, it was cold because we were not used that type of weather.   The show grounds were behind us, and a few men brought their dogs there training them.

Orange is about 3.1/2 hours drive from Sydney.  Population is about 42,000 people.  We have only been there once. Oranges do not grow in Orange. 

The city was named after Prince William of Orange.  Major Thomas Mitchell (1792-1855) was Surveyor-General (1828-1855) overseeing official maps and infrastructure.  He was a Scottish born Soldier and explorer.  Major Thomas Mitchell named Orange, New South Wales, in honour of Prince William of Orange.  Mitchell chose the name in 1846 as a personal tribute to the Prince, with whom he had served and fought during the Peninsular War in Spain.

 Agriculture and mining happens there. 





95 comments:

  1. It must have been really cold, with all that frost.
    I enjoyed getting to know the city of Orange.
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. Oh it was ever so cold, probably colder than being in the snow on a sunny day.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hopefully in summer it would look green, depends if there is enough water to water the grass, Angie.

      Delete
  3. Que interesante es recorrer mundo, Margaret. Gracias y un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always interesting to travel, we learn and see things we have never seen before, it's a good education, Gil.

      Delete
  4. I don't like waking up in the morning and it being really cold. Interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either, Mary. That morning it was good though to see so much frost. The caravan was lovely and warm inside.

      Delete
  5. Great place to visit but has the BIG FREEZE in winter and THE COOK TO DEATH
    in the summer.
    A very sporty city - they seem to play all sports - no lolling about on your backside in ORANGE.
    There were quite a few Orange boarders at Joeys College at Hunters Hill.
    They were all in the First Grade teams - Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, Handball and even
    Rowing???
    Cheers
    Only Mr. Duck for breakfast and he wasn't hungry. Snobby little buggers

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they row in Orange, Colin. There are a couple of dams in the area so they go there. I think their summers are pretty good regarding the temperature only on rare occasion does it get over 35 deg C. (that is what I read)

      Delete
  6. I remember seeing frost like that in West Gippsland. I was young, so I don't remember the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh did you. We found it cold but inside the caravan was warm, we had the heater going.

      Delete
  7. I have never seen a frost that heavy, it almost looks like it snowed, it looks very cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was heavy and did look like snow at first but we soon changed our minds to frost, R. It was cold, very cold but we had a beautiful sunny day after it as what usually happens after a good frost.

      Delete
  8. So strange for us hard headed Americans to see snow on the ground in September in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol....it's frost Ruby,, not snow and it is hard to get our heads around the season being the opposite to the northern hemisphere.

      Delete
  9. My husband did primary high, high school and university in Sydney, and didn't leave NSW until he was 22. Yet although he had travelled up and down the coast, and swam in every major beach, he had almost never been to an inland city like Orange. Might it have been a climate issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come directly to my blog at any time because the last posts did not appear on your face page.

      Delete
    2. I believe the locals when we asked them about such a heavy frost, they said they get one every now and then...so not climate change, Hels. I do think not that many people living in Australia travel to Orange or any of those inland towns unless it was for something special.
      Ok about your post, will go there - it seems that everyone has their turn with blogger not showing their new posts. Thanks for letting me know, Hels.

      Delete
  10. Há sempre todo um mundo para descobrir.
    Abraço de amizade.
    Juvenal Nnes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Yes, I knew it's just an error in typing, often happens to me too.

      Delete
  12. What beautiful photos, Margaret.
    I can well imagine you were cold with the frost, especially if you aren't used to it.
    Here it often freezes in the winter, and it can be as low as -10 degrees at night.
    I wish you a lovely Wednesday.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irma. I am/we are not used to it being that cold in the morning frost, though we do have a frost or two in our winter they are not like the one in the photo. I can't imagine how cold -10 deg C is...

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the interesting explanation of this place and the great photos!hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
  14. The frosty photos are very beautiful, Margaret. They look like they do here in late autumn. In a few months or very soon it will look like this here too. I think the frost on the ground is very pretty. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes frost is pretty and crunchy under foot too I noticed. We do have frost here where I live once in a while but not like in the photos. Yes, won't be long for you and your heavy frosts.

      Delete
  15. I guess everything is relative. I am looking forward to the first frost and I will be very happy to see the back of the obscene summer heat. But I have the right clothes, too, and I suspect you were not prepared for cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall you would prefer cooler weather and enjoy it. We didn't have enough warm clothes with us but we were kept warm however with several layers of clothing and a heater in the caravan plus the vehicles too. Sunny days were also good as that helped us to keep warm.

      Delete
  16. Hello Margaret! While I was watching the map I didn't realised that Orange is located three hours drive from Sydney. It seemed it was closer to the coast. Maybe it is cold there because Orange is located in the hills.

    Thanks for sharing information about this town in New South Wales.

    Greetings,
    G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Orange is on the slopes of the extinct volcano Mount Canobolas so hence the cold in winter, Giorgio.
      You are welcome and thank you.

      Delete
  17. Hello Margaret,
    That's very special to see the frozen ground now.
    It's a good place to stay with the caravan for a holiday in warm times.

    Many greetings,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be more pleasant in the warmer days, but then we usually travelled Australian areas in the winter, Marco.

      Delete
  18. Is it begin ning to be cold in Australia..ohh myhhhhh!Great photoes as always💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Anita we are heading towards Spring time now as it's September. These photos were taken in wintertime in a place called Orange in New South Wales.

      Delete
  19. Hi Margaret, I love the cool temperatures and cold weather! Ice, though, not at all! I love the snow, the fresh, crisp air, the breezes. Especially after the extremely hot and humid summer and wildfires here! After all, I can put on more clothing in colder temperatures but there is only so much clothing you can remove without getting arrested in the heat and humidity! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed seeing your lovely photos, thank you so much for sharing.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome Linda.
      It is hard to keep cool in the heat, having air conditioning helps to keep cool and many people in Australia have it. Yes we can usually keep warm by add more clothing as you say.

      Delete
  20. Je to hodně zajímavé, chtěla jsem psát o Vilému Oranžském, ale podobně jako ostatní, budu psát o mrazu.
    Není tu psáno, jak velký mráz to byl. U nás také pamatuji na mrazivé zimy, přes -20°C, pamatuji i -25°C, ale je to už dost let zpátky. Blízkost moře otepluje pevninu, čím dál do vnitrozemí kontinentu pak bývají větší mrazy a zima je tužší.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True in what you say about being inland and the weather. Orange is on the slopes of the extinct volcano Mount Canobolas so that is why it's cold in winter being up higher but I don't know how high. We don't know how big the frost was, and I'm not aware about that as we here in Tasmania (home) don't measure frosts as we don't have many of them in the winter and if we do they are either a touch of frost or a heavy one.
      Gosh I don't know how I would go with it being -20 deg C, I guess if you are in that type of temperature, you were the appropriate clothing.

      Delete
  21. Fascinating history ...my first thought had been the town was so named because oranges grew there!
    Goodness though it did look so frosty ...brr I'm feeling chilly now LOL

    Once again thank you for the maps.

    Hope your September has started well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, September is going ok so far. Yes very frosty, makes me cold looking at it too.

      Delete
  22. Wow, interesting information. I also thought it was something to do with Oranges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can easily mistake the name Orange as oranges growing there, but alas in summer it's warmer of course but not for growing oranges.

      Delete
  23. I had no idea there was a Prince William of Orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well neither did I until I researched the name of 'Orange'. So as I share where I have been in the past I also learn more which is good for me, Hena.

      Delete
  24. What a fascinating glimpse into Orange, Margaret!
    I didn’t realize the town was named after Prince William of Orange -- such a rich bit of history. That frost sounds like a magical surprise, even if it was freezing. Thank you for sharing your experience and the background of the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you are welcome, Veronica. We all learn as we go along in this world as I didn't know that Prince William of Orange had a town named after him.

      Delete
  25. That's very interesting Margaret and I enjoyed all your photos, as well as those maps. I know all about William of Orange. There is a statue of him in a harbor near my home town where he is supposed to have landed back in the day. Nice bit of history here too, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise.
      Fancy that you know about William of Orange and I didn't even know about the town being named after the Prince until I did the research, so I did learn from this post which is good. I'm pleased you like that post, Denise.

      Delete
    2. My dad used to tell us the history every time we walked by the statue Margaret. Here is a link to it if you would like to take a look. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_William_III,_Brixham

      Delete
    3. Thank you Denise, Certainly a wonderful statue and white as well, that would stand out. Thank you for the link.

      Delete
  26. Its bitterly cold winters, unexpected frosts, and fascinating history make it clear that the town offers far more than its name might suggest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like many places, they nearly all offer more if you dig into their history.

      Delete
  27. Margaret acho que não daria pra viver em clima frio apesar que gosto do inverno, passando pra desejar uma ótima quinta-feira bjs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be very hard to live in the real cold if we are not used to it, but when we know nothing else we would be used to it.

      Delete
  28. Been a while since I have been to Orange, ok we drove through the town last year but a visit has been a long time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ok, yes driving through and having a stay there is rather different..

      Delete
  29. I love the way the little Wallaby is peeking out... Your pictures gave me a shiver... I suspected there were some issues with blogspot/blogger at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems we are always having blogger issues Bill. I am trying to comment on my iPad…

      Delete
  30. I tried to leave a comment on your blog yesterday, but it wasn't possible. I think it's so beautiful to see the rime on the ground, and in a few months it will be like that here too.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless you Marit, it's a bit of a problem blogger at times. Thank you for trying and I'm on my iPad at the moment to see if it works..

      Delete
  31. Waking up to heavy high-country frost in a caravan sounds like a true shock to the system, but such a memorable experience! I love that classic bit of trivia that oranges don't actually grow in Orange, and the history behind Major Thomas Mitchell naming it after Prince William is so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Benita, good facts. I put on the post that Oranges are not grown there, I though everyone might ask me if they did indeed grow there...lol

      Delete
  32. I actually worked in Orange Hospital a few times. Not a great place to work lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh have you. Didn't see the Hospital, not that I was aware of. I should imagine it's a rather tight community.

      Delete
  33. Lo mismo me ocurrió ayer a mí y ya cansada de intentarlo cerré el ordenador.
    Lo he vuelto a intentar ahora de nuevo y ya parece que el problema está resuelto.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us hope the problem is solved for good. I tried to comment this afternoon with no luck, then just before I started preparing dinner this evening I could comment, so that is good.

      Delete
  34. No oranges in Orange. Kind of ironic. Glad Blogger is working again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is ironic..lol I'm glad blogger is working again too!

      Delete
  35. So there are no oranges in Orange. :) We have a county Mayo that's near Galway. Lots of tourists ask if this is where mayonnaise is made. No! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, I never even occurred to me that county Mayo might make mayonnaise, and they don't. I can see how people might think that, and we don't seem to call mayo mayonnaise in Australia, we called it salad dressing!

      Delete
  36. Loved the pictures.

    Blogger has been glitching for me for days. Seems like they might have fixed the commenting problem for now though.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sending you warm greetings from Viola, and thanks for the photos.
    It seems to have been a worldwide issue—I couldn't leave comments for a while either—
    but luckily, it's working again now.
    Sending you a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Margaret, that church is a beautiful work. I find everywhere you take us on your blog is a place of beauty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful church!
    It's great that you included the map, too—it really gives us a sense of the place...
    I really liked your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Querida Margaret, los blog no están nada bien, a mí si me deja comentar en tu blog, pero el mío no se actualiza correctamente, publico todos los días y no aparecen las entradas. Por aquí en invierno también suele haber bastantes heladas. Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for calling and your comment.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop