Update, I've added a video that has just become available - it's below!
Yesterday, Sunday 23 August 2026 the new ferry called The Spirit of Tasmania 1V arrived to it's home port in Devonport, Tasmania about 1 hours drive from home, Launceston, Tasmania. It is now berthed in the Mersey River, Devonport for a trial run to see if all fitted! The ferry sails between Devonport and Geelong in Victoria across Bass Strait some 459 kms (285 miles).
The river isn't that wide it's about 200 to 300 meters (656 to 984 feet) from one side to the other.
Our Great nephew A in his early 30's (his parents I mentioned in the post before last) was the Pilot of the Pilot boat that guided the ferry into the river and berth. He is the Harbour Pilot and he had been a Captain of a ship previously for a few years before taking on his current position.
Some photos I borrowed from the Internet, the remainder his Grandmother sent me (my husband's sister) of Sunday's morning happenings in Devonport.
A, with Pilot written on his clothes in the Pilot boat.
Amazing how the ferry fits into it's mooring backing into it, and of course it has to turn around to do this.
The Spirit of Tasmania 1V and there is another called The Spirit of Tasmania V, this latter one will arrive later, as the ships cross in the night one of course going to Geelong in Victoria and the other coming to Devonport, Tasmania.
The ferry is built to carry up to 1,400 passengers and 500 vehicles per crossing across Bass Strait. The ships were built in Rauma, Finland.
A, in the Bridge of the ferry as he had to climb up the ladder of the ferry to enter.
The video of the arrival in Devonport on Sunday. The video just became available. If you wish to view it and see how it turns around, that happens about 6.34. Beautiful sunrise to welcome The Spirit of Tasmania lV. The birds are having their say, you can hear them.






Thank you for these wonderful photos of your great-nephew of the ferry's arrival...
ReplyDeleteHugs Elke
You are welcome, Elkes.
DeleteThose are some beautiful photos. I love the views.
ReplyDeleteThey are nice photos and I have no idea who took some of them.
DeleteAs you may know, I love the big ships. This is beautiful. I think your great nephews job would be so much fun. Thank you for sharing this. Have a great day today.
ReplyDeleteHe has a good job but he studied a long time too, several years as we have a Maritime College up the Tamar River in another town and it's there he got his degree. Yes, he has had some fun I believe..lol He's now settled down and married recently. You are welcome.
DeleteAmazing photographs and well done to 'A' ... such a responsibility :)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the coming week.
All the best Jan
A big responsibility with his job, Jan. He climbed up that ladder on the big ship so I'm told to go inside it.
DeleteWonderful photos, dear Margaret! Beautiful! I love big ships!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice and thank you Linda.
DeleteIt's good to see it finally becoming close to being used in service. SoT V is sitting at Station Pier and has been there for quite some time.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the information.
Oh yes, Andrew after the bungle it's been and I had no idea V is berthed there at Station Pier. Interesting.
DeleteYou are welcome.
Quite something how they are able to maneuver into what looks a small space but it is big!
ReplyDeleteThe third photo just gives you some idea.
You must be very proud of your grand nephew?
As you may recall ships/boats/ ferries and my tummy DO NOT AGREE!
Update on my two very uncooperative pair of wood ducks are at glaring point.
Deposits are not welcome!
Nice and sunny here this morning but my version of COLD!
My sister and her eldest child, Hailey, are now on a night train to Halifax Provence,
Canada! I think of Anne of Green Gables" fame??????
Cheers
Colin
It is a big ferry/ship Colin, the other two Spirits are not big enough hence the two new ones. Yes, very proud of A, he studied long and hard to get to where he is today, he always wanted to be on the water/sea.
DeleteAs long as you don't tread in those deposits you will be ok.
It's turned cooler here after being a bit warm for about a week and tried to rain today.
I'm sure your sister and Hailey are having a great time and you will enjoy hearing all about their adventures.
Lindo ferry y lindo viaje. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteThank you, same to you too.
DeleteJust love that first photo, Margaret, they even got a bird to do a flyby. I always marvel at how those huge ferries can park better than I can.
ReplyDeleteYes that bird just made the photo and looks good, Pauline. They do park well, and turn in the small river, this run was a trial run to see if all went ok and thank goodness it did.
Delete285 miles! I did not know Tasmania was that far away. I managed on the Ferry between Fremantle and Rottnest Island, but I don't know about managing 285 miles at sea. If I ever make it to Tassie I might just fly.
ReplyDeleteYes it's a long way I suppose and that is why it takes most of the night to get there via ship. Much cheaper to fly but if you want to take a car or car and caravan/freight you do have to go on the boat/ferry.
DeleteHe must be great captain and revered amongst them
ReplyDeleteHe is I am sure, he has a good personality and is liked by all.
DeleteWhen spouse and I travelled from Israel across Europe to the UK for the first time, we largely went by car because it was so cheap. In any case, while I loved ship travel on the Mediterranean, the spouse did not.
ReplyDeleteSince then we travelled to New Zealand and back by ship, which once again I thought was fantastic. And to Tasmania and back by ship. But now if I want to go anywhere by ship, it will have to be alone :( Do you have any recommendations to make the male stomach more placid.
Oh Hels, Travelcalm is supposed to be good or ginger for a more natural remedy. You can buy straps which fit over the wrists, try the chemists. Dare I say it can also be a physiological thing as I was once told by a worker at the Port of Devonport, the women said you only have to mention 'the sea' to some people and they feel ill...I thought she was a bit harsh myself.
DeleteFortunately, my husband and myself have never felt or been sea sick on any of our trips across which would be about 40 in total. (That's over and back),
We always travelled on the ferry/ship at night so had a cabin and was asleep most of the night.
It was exciting to read about this big boat, and that it can turn there. It looks pretty narrow there, so it's impressive that they can do it. Your header with helleborus is very nice.
ReplyDeleteThanks regarding the helleborus header, from my garden and hopefully I will get more colours this week to plant.
DeleteYes it is narrow in the river there but all went well, thank goodness.
Hello Margaret,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos of the ferry having to turn around in the river.
Very good of your second cousin A to sail on such a big boat, he must be a very good captain.
I wish you a lovely week.
All the best, Irma
Yes he seems to be a good Captain/Pilot of ships at a young age, Irma.
DeleteThank you and you too have a good week.
Interesting post!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Bill.
DeleteWonderful views, so interesting.
ReplyDeleteGreetings
Good to see from up high.
DeleteThank you.
Dear Margaret, the Blogger news reader is very bad at showing new posts.
ReplyDeleteIt sure is Linda, oneday it will come right.
DeleteThat looks like a big ferry; it must be a delight to ride on it and take a trip.
ReplyDeleteHave a great week.
Regards.
It is rather large and it goes into operation at the end of October I believe.
DeleteThank you and you too.
That is an impressive ferry!
ReplyDeleteSure is.
DeleteSuch a great ship!
ReplyDeleteHarbour pilots are considered highly reliable. Congrats to your nephew.
Have a lovely week ahead of you, Margaret.
Thank you, and the Pilots of the pilot boat sometimes called a Master Harbour have to be good at their job, nephew was lucky to get that job after years of studying and so on, Giorgio.
DeleteI would have liked to watch that.
ReplyDelete: )
I would too but it was at sunrise when it arrived, too early for us.
DeleteThe ferry is pretty impressive.
ReplyDeleteYes Bill it's a beauty.
DeleteHello Margaret,
ReplyDeleteThat's great!! It is always nice to see these kind of impressive ships.
I have made may pictures of cruiseships which came here in the Netherlands in the harbor of Rotterdam. I like that so much to see these ships.
Wonderful shots Margaret!!
Many greetings,
Marco
Thank you Marco. Ships are magnificent and builders do a wonderful job. You should show the ship photos online. Be nice to see.
DeleteI have put the link of my blog with shots of the cruiseships.
Deletehttps://marcoalpha.blogspot.com/search/label/Cruise%20Schepen
Greetings, Marco
A really big raft!
ReplyDeleteYes it is a large ferry/ship.
DeleteMargaret, to je parádní příspěvek, pro nás - suchozemce! Samozřejmě znám mapu Austrálie, vím, kde je Tasmánie i Bassův průliv, je mi známo, že tam fungují trajekty, ale takový trajekt jsem nikdy neviděla, proto je tohle pro mne informativní a poučné.
ReplyDeleteSynovec je šikovný a schopný lodivod, přeji mu štěstí! Podle mne je jeho práce důležitá hlavně pro obyvatelé Tasmánie, aby nebyli tak "odříznuti" od kontinentu.
It is a big ferry, and there is another the same which we haven't seen as yet. They both will sail at the end of October.
DeleteThank you for the good wishes to our G-Nephew.
Děkuji za přidané video! Pozorně jsem si vše prohlédla, hlavně je tam dobře vidět, jak musí pilot manévrovat, aby trajekt dostal pěkně ke břehu. A mohu se zeptat, kolikrát asi ročně vy nebo běžná rodina takový trajekt využijete?
Deleteo dear Ferry is huge and river feels narrow before it .
ReplyDeletecongrats how your great nephew is carrying this ship across back and forth by the grace of God!!!
i enjoyed the photos you shared ,amazing wow :)
Thank you Baili. It is a big ferry/ship and I'm sure all will go well across the sea, going and coming.
DeleteThat is a big ferry.
ReplyDeleteIt sure is Mary.
DeleteA fascinating milestone for Tasmania, and a particularly proud family moment to see your great-nephew expertly guiding the new Spirit of Tasmania into its home port at Devonport.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is a milestone and a long time coming.
DeleteThank you.
Wow! What a long ferry! But I love to ride on them!!
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
It is a long one, Donna. We won't get to sail on it as we have finished our tours.
DeleteIt is amazing how they can maneuver that big ship coming in to dock. Thanks for the info Margaret, I found it all amazing. Very interesting about your great nephew too.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to believe it can be turned around but the video shows it happening as it did.
Deletehat a very special day for your family. I can completely understand how proud you all must be of A. Guiding such a large new ferry safely into its home port is a great responsibility, and seeing him there in his role as pilot must have been a wonderful moment.
ReplyDeleteThe Spirit of Tasmania IV is an impressive ship, but for me the most memorable part of your post is the personal connection. Suddenly this was not simply the arrival of a new ferry, but a family occasion as well.
I also loved the detail of the sunrise and the birdsong in the video. It must have made the whole scene even more beautiful.
Congratulations to A on such an important and memorable assignment. I am sure this is a day your family will talk about for a long time.
Warm greetings from Germany,
Anette
Thank you Annette and a day we all will remember for a long time/a life time because family was involved. I loved the video as the sun rose and the birds were having a wonderful time.
DeleteHi dear Margaret, I have just come to let you know how much I love your blog header and background! I hope you are having a lovely week, dear friend.
ReplyDeleteThank you Linda. Flower from my garden and I made the background with an old software program I have.
DeleteThis was a wonderful post
ReplyDeleteThank you Jo-Anne.
DeleteDebes estar muy orgullosa, Margaret. Un abrazo.
ReplyDeleteWe all are very proud, Gil especially his parents and A's grandparents.
DeleteWow that is great. That is quite the parking.. a skilled captain at the helm.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely skilled as there is no room for errors.
DeleteEmbarcação impressionante, a manobrar, com maestria, num espaço confinado.
ReplyDeleteAbraço de amizade.
Juvenal Nunes
The ferry is impressive and it's good it can turn in such a small area.
DeleteSehr beeindruckend diese Fähre.
ReplyDeleteGruß
Noke
It looks good Noke.
DeleteThank you for adding the video, amazing to see it turn around and yes, you can indeed hear the birds!
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Pleased you watched the video Jan, the birds sounded so lovely early in the morning.
DeleteQue interesante Margaret, me ha gustado verlo. Feliz mes de septiembre.
ReplyDeleteThank you Teresa. Same to you you too.
DeleteBeautiful photos, the ferry turning around is impressive.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the photos and the spectacular video!