Wednesday 3 December 2014

What do I do with it all?

Having inherited all my late mother's crockery just what do I do with it all and where do I put it?

I have Royal Dalton Old Country Rose made in England Tea Set, with little jugs, sugar bowls, teapot, cups, mugs, sauces and plates along with an abundance of different styled plates. These go with my own.  Tea sets cups saucers and plates, and I have many jugs plus sugar bowls.
Then I have inherited Crystal glasses galore, crystal vases, and bowls to add with my own.

Then of course there were 3 dinner sets, and double ones at that.  I gave two away and kept one.  The one I kept is a Noritake, Highclere made in Japan, one with 2 settings. I put my everyday Willow dinner set away to have a change.  Then there are 2 full sets of Corning Ware to add to my own. All are in excellent condition, some things as if new. The list goes on....Don't mention the cultery!
A lot of the items have been packed in the garage as I can't throw them out or give them away. One day they may be worth a bit of money and my sons might benefit from that. I know where they are if I need them.

Have cleaned out my cupboards and took what I hadn't used of my own and gave it to charity today.  That made a lot of room for the extras.


Royal Dalton Old Country Rose. Royal Dalton brought this design out in 1962.


Noritake - Highclere made in Japan.  
I borrowed both the photos from the internet.  The photo of this Noritake sugar bowl is not true to it's colour.  It is gold, grey, and white florals.

18 comments:

  1. I also have lots of inherited dishes. My mother left her china to my daughters and niece; one is Haviland china (very old and complete), one is a rose pattern similar to the one you have showing, and one is a beautiful deep blue and white that she purchased in Hungary. But my husband inherited china from his grandmother and a beautiful set of American Fostoria from his mom, also his grandmothers. For now I have the storage room, but I have no idea what we will do with these some day. You have some beautiful designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of Haviland china but I looked it up. I think I found the one similar to mine, the rose one, it all looks lovely as the American Fostoria does. It's hard to know what to do with such items, I am using mine now.

      Delete
  2. Wow what a beauty. I am jealous you have had such beutiful things unluckily I have have only modern ones. All my grandmother's dishes and china were damaged during WWII. W hat a pity . You are a lucky person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with modern ones. That's sad all things were lost in the War.
      Yes, I am lucky in many ways :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pieces. I have a blog friend in Arkansas USA who has the rose pattern like yours.
    I, too, have a lot of delicate pieces of china and crystal and we rarely use them. I hope one day my nieces will cherish them and all of us who have owned and cared for them over the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all beautiful and we are using some it it now. I hope my daughter in laws look after what's left in the future. Perhaps all the crystal and china will do a full circle.

      Delete
  4. I've heard of Noritake but never knew what it looked like. The photo works well enough on my screen. I am afraid we are ruthless and if it won't go in the dishwasher, we don't want it. But we do have three sets of cutlery and old coffee service in the spare room wardrobe. They can all be someone else's problem one day. I don't think you can get much in the way of cash for such things. I think I did enquire once. I am not sure who will take my mother's old display cups and sauces etc, but it won't be us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am putting my china in the dishwasher, working ok. Unfortunately no one really wants this older china etc.

      Delete
  5. I just love the Old Country Rose pattern. I love using family china. It's almost like having the spirits of those who used it in the past at the table with us again. I have very few pieces, but they are precious to me. I hope you will enjoy using them and pass them on to your children someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful! I applaud you for clearing out your cupboards and donating to charity what you weren't using. It helps you and it will help others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I enjoyed giving many things to charity, it makes one feel good.

      Delete
  7. they are beautiful and you are very lucky to have them. i can see high tea :) i love pretty dishes like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High tea :) have done that in the past for something different :)

      Delete
  8. Oh M what beautiful things your parents had. The memories attached to these are priceless. I have no answer what to do with it all. I have my parents things too. Good luck I think you have made wise decisions. HUG xo G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes lots of memories, all good ones :) and thanks. Hugs M xox

      Delete

Thank you for calling and your comment.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop