Saturday, 25 July 2026

Sugar Cane Queensland

Proserpine is the heart of sugar cane country in North Queensland, renowned for endless cane fields and its towering sugar mill.  The industry generates hundreds of millions locally, serving as the region's lifeblood since its establishment in 1879.

In Queensland, pre-harvest sugar cane burning is highly restricted.  Under Queensland Fire Department regulations, cane fires are legally prohibited from being conducted between 10 am and 2 pm to mitigate fire risks and smoke hazards.  Most scheduled burns happen in the late afternoon, around sunset, or overnight.

Cane burning takes place during the annual harvest and crushing season, which runs from June through to December.  While about 85% of Queensland's crop is now harvested 'green' intentional burning still occurs in specific regions.

I have posted photos of cane burning a few years back, I don't recall seeing these photos I took on a post on my blog.  We stayed in a caravan park in Prosperine a long way from home, and it was late evening when we heard the crackle of the cane fire and of course we smelt the smoke, we headed to the gate to see what was going on as it was a surprise to us seeing cane burn for the first time.  If your sound is quiet, you might need to turn it up to hear the noise.






50 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hels, we have cane fires or they have them in some cane fields up north to remove dead leaves and weeds, make harvesting faster and more efficient, and prevent cold, wet heavy clay soils from rotting new crop growth, pest control. Not all cane farmers burn their cane.

      Delete
  2. Dramatic photos! I guess it's an easy way to get rid of the waste from the sugar beets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! To both the video and your photographs. Quite dramatic!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is dramatic when done at nighttime which is always the case. Fire Brigade is notified along with other authorities.

      Delete
  4. OMGosh. I don't know anything about cane growing and I certainly didn't know they burn every year. The video and your photos are quite impressive. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Nicole. Not all cane farmers burn their crop when the time comes to do so. I didn't know anything about 'cane' till we visited the area and then I learnt something new each time we were in the cane growing area.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Sure does light up the night sky. The smoke has a sweet smell to it.

      Delete
  6. I liked to chew on sugar cane when I was a little kid..but why burn them? Over production?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never chewed on sugar cane, had plenty of opportunity, I guess.
      They burn the can to remove dead leaves and weeds, make harvesting faster and more efficient, and prevent cold, wet heavy clay soils from rotting new crop growth, pest control. Not all cane farmers burn their cane.
      After the can is burnt it is gathered put on a cane train and taken to the mill to be processed, Angie.
      Nothing to do with over production.

      Delete
  7. Dear Margaret,

    Thank you for another very interesting post. I had no idea that sugar cane is sometimes burned before harvesting. I learned something new today.

    My first thought was about the environmental impact of the smoke, but then I realized there is another side to the story. Farming is often a balance between practical needs, safety and protecting nature. It is rarely as simple as it first appears.

    Your photos and the sound of the fire must have made this an unforgettable experience. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Warm regards,
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anette, you understand both side of the process of 'cane'. I guess because it's burnt at night or just as the sun is about to go down the smoke doesn't seem to cause anyone a problem. People that live in the area know that that is time to do that particular job so they close their windows and so on. We when staying in the area didn't have a problem with the smoke at all, we often went driving to find cane burning, nearly got sort of lost many times doing this on the side roads.

      Delete
  8. Dear Margaret, your photos are amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muy interesante tu publicación. En algunos países y regiones suelen quemar la caña para entre otras razones eliminar mosquitos y otros insectos. También para quemar la paja que rodea a la caña y que sea mas fácil su recolección. Un abrazo. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are some of the reasons Gil. It's good you have knowledge of that.

      Delete
  10. The smoke is amazing and it perhaps just as well it is severely restricted now. It must have good to see it first hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was good to see it Andrew, we heard lots of crackling ran outside to see the flames high in the sky - just so good to see it in reality. Burning is controlled and causes no one any harm or discomfort as far as I'm away, we didn't even smell the smoke until we got closer.

      Delete
  11. The burn offs are quite something to see - BUT watch out for the snakes getting
    out of the way.
    They have the burn offs right up the coast.
    The tours of the factories to process the burn for the sugar is very interesting and
    they have excellent restaurant facilities. I have been to the one at Nambour just up from Brisbane. Somewhere up the coast the sugar train runs through the township
    from the burn to the factory.
    Lovely day here in Terrigal - the seal on the beach has attracted many sightseers
    so the restaurant owners are jumping for joy.
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got photos of the sugar train or a sugar train I should say. Yes, there are a few towns that have the cane trains go through their towns Colin.
      It's a sweet smell when burning the cane and it smells nice.
      So there is a seal on the beach? Oh my, we have just had Neil the seal visit our east coast for while, he's gone now.

      Delete
  12. That's very interesting Margaret, I was a bit worried at first and glad to know it was a controlled burn. Very dramatic photos and video, thanks for sharing. You've probably heard Canada is having some horrid fires up their way. Hoping that everyone will be okay. The firefighters are always our heroes. We have fires also in Minnesota and ones the Pacific Northwest. Temperatures seem to be a little cooler in our area now. Hopefully it will be the same for our northern neighbors. They sure could do with some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Denise.
      Yes, we have had photos of the fires in Canada on the TV news along with fires in Spain, just dreadful. Didn't know there were other areas having fires but I guess it happens all over the place. I do hope everyone is safe.
      Rain is very handy when there are fires and even when there are not any as long as it knows when to stop and not flood and ruin things.

      Delete
  13. Uy aunque es una quema controlada si da miedo que se descontrole. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have authorities there when they burn the cane and I've never heard of a controlled fire getting out of control - yet!

      Delete
  14. "PRE" harvest burning? I thought the canes only got burned AFTER harvesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not only done after harvesting R. After harvesting it is sometimes done to clean the ground. Then done as in the photos and then chopped up put on the cane train and taken to the cane mill.

      Delete
  15. 200 thousand people in France and Spain have had to leave their homes due to fires--- Just seeing these pictures made me a bit nervous. It could happen here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes fires are not good Bill. I knew about the ones in Spain and Canada and didn't know about France, the fires moves so quickly in the summer and it's sad when people get burnt and lose their homes. May everyone be safe.
      The sugar cane is well controlled and of course there is only one or two farmhouses attached to each cane farm.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. They are dramatic and such an education to see it, as it teaches you so much as to why and how.

      Delete
  17. Hello Margaret,
    Beautiful photos and video of the burning of the sugarcane stalks.
    I actually think it is unacceptable because of the environment, all that smoke is harmful to humans and animals.
    They should ban it and find another way to remove the stalks from the cane.
    I wish you a lovely weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irma, there is hardly anyone that lives near where the cane is burnt. At the most 2 farmhouses, then many fields of cane, then another house. The smoke doesn't seem to cause anyone any harm; it didn't us and being burnt very late in the afternoon and nighttime when most people are inside no one takes any notice of it for it is their way of life in that season. I hope that helps to explain. Plus, the season is winter when they do it.

      Delete
  18. This is interesting, but the fires are so scary. I don’t know anything about growing sugarcane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was a bush fire or fires that they are having in other parts of the world it would be very scary. No problems with the cane fires, as the cane fields are very big and very controlled.

      Delete
  19. Non sapevo che prima di raccoglierla andasse bruciata.
    Mamma mia che spettacolo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly is a big show but that didn't last that long. Just a lot of crackling then high flames then nothing. All happened rather quickly.

      Delete
  20. What a spectacle—burning the sugarcane in the video and photos!
    I hope it’s a controlled burn; otherwise, it could get dangerous. You really have to wonder if it’s necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, very controlled burn it is against the law to not be controlled well.
      Yes it is necessary for many reason. They are cane farmers and they know.

      Delete
  21. There are too many fires of other kinds these days! I doubt that I would want to be anywhere near sugarcane burning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are many fires at the moment in this world, shocking and sad.
      The cane fires are controlled, a lot of crackling at first, then flames, then nothing, happens quickly and always done late afternoon towards sunset and when dark. There is not wind either, as that is the best time to do it...the cane farmers know.

      Delete
  22. Information I didn't know about sugarcane burning.
    Have lovely weekend, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I once didn't know either, never ever gave it a thought till we visited where the cane is grown here in Australia and burnt in the winter ready to go to the mill.
      It's all very interesting, Giorgio.

      Delete
  23. Margaret, over here the burning of sugarcane is illegal because the burning reduces populations of beneficial microorganisms and alters key enzymatic processes. These functions are essential for recycling nutrients, forming organic matter, and ensuring the natural fertility of the soil.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Something new to me, thanks for sharing, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The photos are stunning, a delight to paint. Unfortunately, we now have large, uncontrolled fires here with the intense heat waves and human negligence.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The crackling flames, drifting smoke, and unexpected sight of a cane fire turning an ordinary evening in Proserpine into a uniquely Queensland experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for calling and your comment.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop