Some of the towns names the ancestor brought out and named small settlements back in the day and a couple we drove through. They are Boliva, Bonny Doon, Dundee, Stonehenge, Ben Lomond all within the Tenterfield area.
For those that remember the singer Peter Allen born 1944, died 1992 was born in Tenterfield and wrote the song Tenterfield Traveller as a tribute to his grandfather, George Woolnoough, who worked as a saddler in the country town of Tenterfield in New South Wales.
Peter was married to Liza Manilli in 1967 (Judy Garland's daughter) divorced 1974. Peter never married again. Gregory Connell and Peter met in 1973 and Gregory died in 1984, Peter never had another partner.
Nice view of the landscape and a typical farm gate below.
This road used to be the highway years ago. We pulled off the highway and drove up this old road to take a look. Below a rest area along the way.
The area around Tenterfield, NSW has the red marks around it.






As always, beautiful photos and very well explained; thanks for showing us your part of the world.
ReplyDeleteHave a great week.
Best regards.
Thank you Jose and you are most welcome.
DeleteZaujal mě Peter Allen, zmátl mě rok narození 1844, tam patří rok 1944 a oženil se s Lizou Minnelli, ale to jsem si dohledala. 😊
ReplyDeleteFotografie mě zaujaly, přece jen to je jiné než u nás a mám otázku: Nikde tam není vidět lidi, to je oblast tak málo osídlená?
Zvu vás na můj blog, mám článek o orloji, takový nejspíš v Austrálii není (?).
My máme stále neděli, u vás je už nový týden, tak ať je úspěšný!
Oh dear! Miss printed date by me, now fixed. Thanks for telling me.
DeleteYes, Tenterfield is a rural area with about 4,000 people withing the town, so it's small but then of course the Shire has about 7,000 residents. Tenterfield sits along the Great Dividing Range at nearly1,000 meters above sea level. It has four distinct seasons.
We hardly saw anyone in the street when we were there and that has been a few times now. There is a lovely post office and a few other older buildings built in the 1800's.
I went to your blog yesterday but there wasn't a new post at that time. Time makes a difference. 😉
Fajn, ještě je chyba ve jméně - patří Liza Minnelli.
DeleteČlánek o Pražském orloji mám z 20. září.
The landscape you’re showing is so beautiful—great photos.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on appearing early and prominently on my reading list. Forty minutes ago has to be a new record for today.
Wow! I'm glad my post appeared on your blog list Marit, lets hope it continues.
DeleteThank you.
Interesting information about how small settlements were named in that beautiful corner of the world. I like the photo fo the landscape.
ReplyDeleteHave a lovely new week, Margaret.
Thank you, Giorgio. Those little towns we passed we very small towns and we probably didn't realize we had passed some of them. They appear to be mostly Scottish names.
DeleteI have never been to Tenterfield itself but I still remember the words of Tenterfield Traveller. Peter Allen left a powerful legacy.
ReplyDeleteIt is a pleasant country town with friendly people, a good stopper over when in the caravan Hels. There is a lovely caravan park which we stayed in and also there is a show ground/football oval-ground you can stay in as well if in the caravan.
DeletePeter Allen sure made a hit with the song.
Margaret, what a fascinating post and gorgeous photos! I have learned new things as well!
ReplyDeleteOh, your post did appear in my Blogger news reader...this time! However, just to let you know, Google is still working on it and not all posts are appearing (yet), as I have been reading on other blogs.
Not sure what will happen with my Monday post which will appear on my blog in over 6 hours from now....let's see what happens in the Blogger news reader. I am still glad I am using an alternative as a backup for following blogs, just in case.
Thanks again for being here and for all you share, dear friend. I hope you have a lovely week ahead! :)
Thank you Linda.
DeleteThat's good my post appeared on your blog and I've experienced some not appearing or on mine as in updated. I read where you were using an alternative to backup.
You are most welcome.
Beautiful landscape! Love the deep blue sky.
ReplyDeleteThanks Angie. Lovely blue winter skies over that way.
DeleteHey Margaret,
ReplyDeleteThat's a great landscape with a fantastic view.
So very nice to see all these wonderful pictures.
Many greetings,
Marco
Thank you Marco.
DeleteI continue learning about Australian landscapes through your lenses and descriptions, and for that I am grateful. : ))
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased 😊and thank you. I have more coming of a different nature soon.
DeleteMargaret, you always have the best and most interesting posts. You share things that are new to me. Then you show the most beautiful landscapes of Australia. Thank you and have a nice Sunday.
ReplyDeleteThank you Nicole and there is more to come of different landscapes and scenery.
DeleteThe kind of country you can come back to when you have travelled the world and got the wanderlust out of your system.
ReplyDeleteThat's true, then wander through the photos and relive it all again, David.
DeleteGreat post . . . information and photographs.
ReplyDeleteAustralia and Tasmania are just so vast!
Interesting to see the town names and I had to smile at Inglewood because a mile or two from where I live there is an 'Inglewood Close' isn't it amazing how names are shared between continents.
Have a lovely new week, September is disappearing too quickly!
All the best Jan
A few more sleeps and September will be gone Jan, won't be long until Christmas. Goodness!
DeleteSo many names in Australia are named after places/people from England, Ireland and Scotland with a twist sometimes.
Thank you Jan.
Once upon a time, I used to scout that region for photography subjects
ReplyDeleteWell fancy that. I like the area.
DeleteIt's a pretty area. I remember when those single lane roads were the highways, and cars coming either way passed each other with two wheels off the edges.
ReplyDeleteOh gosh R, that sounds a bit dangerous, but people obviously passed each other without problems.
DeleteI always associate now this lovely town with the song - "The Tenterfield Traveller"
ReplyDeleteIf you go into a bar - that song almost takes the roof off with the locals v's the
visitors at pull throttle. The later and louder - ha ha.
Lovely sunny day here - I reckon summer has come earlier. All winter clothes
have been put away and with school holidays commencing - packed surfing beaches!
Thankfully the renovations at the Terrigal pub are almost finished and you can hear
what mates are gabbling about!
Cheers
Colin
Good popular song Colin. I can imagine it being played loud and patrons singing along with the tune in the Pub.
DeleteNice to have an early summer, Hobart had 28 deg C yesterday, we didn't.
Es un lindo lugar. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteThank you and same to you J.P.
DeleteI learn more with each post--- and Interesting info about Peter Allen. He and Liza always seemed like an odd combination back in the day.
ReplyDeleteOh I agree with you they certainly did seem to be an odd couple. They probably got on well in the beginning and who know it may have been career related.
DeleteI have a hard time picturing Liza in the outback.
ReplyDeletelol. Oh yes, that is a good one, but Tenterfield is not quiet the outback Ruby, it's rural town but still I know what you mean. I don't know if she even went there 😉
DeleteMargaret uživala sem v tvojih posnetkih.
ReplyDeleteŽelim ti lep dan, objem Andreja!
Thank you, and you too.
DeleteThis is a beautiful landscape, and interesting to see for me, as is your post. A lovely song by The Tenterfield Traveller!
ReplyDeleteHave a good time , hugs Elke
Thank you Elkes, I'm happy that you like to see Australia's landscapes and it's so varied from the top to bottom, east to west.
DeleteUn paesaggio da favola quello delle foto che ci mostri oggi
ReplyDeleteThank you Stefania.
DeleteI enjoyed learning about the history of those little towns and the connection to Peter Allen. Your photos really capture the quiet beauty of Tenterfield.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this glimpse of rural Australia.
Beautiful photos, Margaret.
ReplyDeleteYour blog also contains a lot of useful information.
Have a wonderful week.
All the best, Irma.
It's a lovely idea that the old highway is now a quiet road you can pull off onto, and the Scottish-sounding town names give the area such a distinct character. Thank you for the drive through the Tenterfield country, Margaret, and for the little bit of Peter Allen history. Have a great week!
ReplyDeletehttps://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com
Es lohnt sich immer die alte Straße statt der Autobahn zu benutzen. So haben wir es in den USA mit der Route 66 gemacht. Diesmal hast du uns zusätzlich eine kleine Familiengeschichte erzählt. Immer interessant, etwas über andere Menschen zu erfahren.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful view. Have a nice week.
ReplyDeleteYour photos show the nice views you encountered. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.
ReplyDeleteI really like the pictures of this. It's such a nice looking place to visit.
ReplyDeleteDear Margaret, I am responding to your comment on my blog about your time will be changing soon to one hour ahead. Here in Montreal, our time will be changing back one hour...on November 1st. LOL! But the time should reflect on my blog clock, I changed the clock to a digital one because it is more elaborate. It shows the time in a.m. or p.m. and the date! Hope this helps you, dear friend.
ReplyDeleteTake good care of yourself!