Orange the name of the town we stayed in in Central New South Wales in the high country so it's colder there in the winter for sure. We stayed there a few years back in the caravan in a caravan park and one morning we woke up to 'frost' like I've never seen before. Oh, it was cold because we were not used that type of weather. The show grounds were behind us, and a few men brought their dogs there training them.
Orange is about 3.1/2 hours drive from Sydney. Population is about 42,000 people. We have only been there once. Oranges do not grow in Orange.
The city was named after Prince William of Orange. Major Thomas Mitchell (1792-1855) was Surveyor-General (1828-1855) overseeing official maps and infrastructure. He was a Scottish born Soldier and explorer. Major Thomas Mitchell named Orange, New South Wales, in honour of Prince William of Orange. Mitchell chose the name in 1846 as a personal tribute to the Prince, with whom he had served and fought during the Peninsular War in Spain.
Agriculture and mining happens there.





It must have been really cold, with all that frost.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed getting to know the city of Orange.
Have a great week
Thank you Maria. Oh it was ever so cold, probably colder than being in the snow on a sunny day.
DeleteWonder how it will look in summer..
ReplyDeleteHopefully in summer it would look green, depends if there is enough water to water the grass, Angie.
DeleteQue interesante es recorrer mundo, Margaret. Gracias y un abrazo.
ReplyDeleteAlways interesting to travel, we learn and see things we have never seen before, it's a good education, Gil.
DeleteI don't like waking up in the morning and it being really cold. Interesting place.
ReplyDeleteI don't either, Mary. That morning it was good though to see so much frost. The caravan was lovely and warm inside.
DeleteEs un lindo lugar. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteThank you J.P.
DeleteGreat place to visit but has the BIG FREEZE in winter and THE COOK TO DEATH
ReplyDeletein the summer.
A very sporty city - they seem to play all sports - no lolling about on your backside in ORANGE.
There were quite a few Orange boarders at Joeys College at Hunters Hill.
They were all in the First Grade teams - Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, Handball and even
Rowing???
Cheers
Only Mr. Duck for breakfast and he wasn't hungry. Snobby little buggers
Colin
Yes they row in Orange, Colin. There are a couple of dams in the area so they go there. I think their summers are pretty good regarding the temperature only on rare occasion does it get over 35 deg C. (that is what I read)
DeleteI remember seeing frost like that in West Gippsland. I was young, so I don't remember the cold.
ReplyDeleteOh did you. We found it cold but inside the caravan was warm, we had the heater going.
DeleteI have never seen a frost that heavy, it almost looks like it snowed, it looks very cold.
ReplyDeleteIt sure was heavy and did look like snow at first but we soon changed our minds to frost, R. It was cold, very cold but we had a beautiful sunny day after it as what usually happens after a good frost.
DeleteSo strange for us hard headed Americans to see snow on the ground in September in Australia.
ReplyDeletelol....it's frost Ruby,, not snow and it is hard to get our heads around the season being the opposite to the northern hemisphere.
DeleteMy husband did primary high, high school and university in Sydney, and didn't leave NSW until he was 22. Yet although he had travelled up and down the coast, and swam in every major beach, he had almost never been to an inland city like Orange. Might it have been a climate issue?
ReplyDeleteCome directly to my blog at any time because the last posts did not appear on your face page.
DeleteI believe the locals when we asked them about such a heavy frost, they said they get one every now and then...so not climate change, Hels. I do think not that many people living in Australia travel to Orange or any of those inland towns unless it was for something special.
DeleteOk about your post, will go there - it seems that everyone has their turn with blogger not showing their new posts. Thanks for letting me know, Hels.
Há sempre todo um mundo para descobrir.
ReplyDeleteAbraço de amizade.
Juvenal Nnes
Queria escrever "Nunes".
ReplyDeleteObrigado.
Juvenal Nunes
What beautiful photos, Margaret.
ReplyDeleteI can well imagine you were cold with the frost, especially if you aren't used to it.
Here it often freezes in the winter, and it can be as low as -10 degrees at night.
I wish you a lovely Wednesday.
All the best, Irma
Thanks for the interesting explanation of this place and the great photos!hugs Elke
ReplyDeleteThe frosty photos are very beautiful, Margaret. They look like they do here in late autumn. In a few months or very soon it will look like this here too. I think the frost on the ground is very pretty. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI guess everything is relative. I am looking forward to the first frost and I will be very happy to see the back of the obscene summer heat. But I have the right clothes, too, and I suspect you were not prepared for cold weather.
ReplyDeleteHello Margaret! While I was watching the map I didn't realised that Orange is located three hours drive from Sydney. It seemed it was closer to the coast. Maybe it is cold there because Orange is located in the hills.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing information about this town in New South Wales.
Greetings,
G.
Interesting place. Have a nice day.
ReplyDeleteI can imagine your surprise. : )
ReplyDeleteHello Margaret,
ReplyDeleteThat's very special to see the frozen ground now.
It's a good place to stay with the caravan for a holiday in warm times.
Many greetings,
Marco
Is it begin ning to be cold in Australia..ohh myhhhhh!Great photoes as always💖
ReplyDeleteHi Margaret, I love the cool temperatures and cold weather! Ice, though, not at all! I love the snow, the fresh, crisp air, the breezes. Especially after the extremely hot and humid summer and wildfires here! After all, I can put on more clothing in colder temperatures but there is only so much clothing you can remove without getting arrested in the heat and humidity! LOL! :)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed seeing your lovely photos, thank you so much for sharing.
DeleteJe to hodně zajímavé, chtěla jsem psát o Vilému Oranžském, ale podobně jako ostatní, budu psát o mrazu.
ReplyDeleteNení tu psáno, jak velký mráz to byl. U nás také pamatuji na mrazivé zimy, přes -20°C, pamatuji i -25°C, ale je to už dost let zpátky. Blízkost moře otepluje pevninu, čím dál do vnitrozemí kontinentu pak bývají větší mrazy a zima je tužší.
Fascinating history ...my first thought had been the town was so named because oranges grew there!
ReplyDeleteGoodness though it did look so frosty ...brr I'm feeling chilly now LOL
Once again thank you for the maps.
Hope your September has started well.
All the best Jan
Wow, interesting information. I also thought it was something to do with Oranges!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea there was a Prince William of Orange.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fascinating glimpse into Orange, Margaret!
ReplyDeleteI didn’t realize the town was named after Prince William of Orange -- such a rich bit of history. That frost sounds like a magical surprise, even if it was freezing. Thank you for sharing your experience and the background of the city.
That's very interesting Margaret and I enjoyed all your photos, as well as those maps. I know all about William of Orange. There is a statue of him in a harbor near my home town where he is supposed to have landed back in the day. Nice bit of history here too, thank you so much!
ReplyDelete