Wednesday 19 March 2014

Lake Dulverton, Oatlands, Tasmania.

Lake Dulverton is a large shallow lake/lagoon associated with the town of Oatlands in Southern Midlands of Tasmania. The lake has an uneven shoreline with many low sandstone cliffs and overhangs.

The only island in the lake, Mary's Island, is a small sandstone rock roughly 80 m long with nothing more than a few cedars growing on it. The lake dried up in 1993 and remained dry for years until heavy rains in August, 2010, filled the lake to near full supply level. During this dry period, 2 levees were built across the lake dividing it into 3 sections. Only the smallest section near the Callington Mill was able to remain full.

Often we stop at Oatlands which is now off the Highway when coming home from Hobart.  I have an Auntie who lives in this Historic Town, she is 95 and in fairly good health, she if rather deaf, which leads me to tell this.

Last year my husband and I called on our way home from Hobart, rang her doorbell many times with no answer.  We could see her inside through the blinds watching and listening to a very loud TV. So  phoned her from my mobile and she heard the ring, picked up the phone and said 'Hello', of course I told her I was at her door...she couldn't stop laughing. So each time we call, I phone her first so then she has the door open to welcome us in.

Topiary Animals at Dulverton Lake side, then the lake itself.

 






18 comments:

  1. What lovely photos. Such a cute story about your Aunt. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      When the same Auntie turned 90, she said she was in her nervous 90's :)

      Delete
  2. Those are awesome photos!!

    My neighbor says I can't hear my door bell when the TV is on. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Topiary animals ~
    wish I knew how to create them around the farm ,
    although the animals would probably eat them .lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the animals would eat them if they liked the foliage..lol

      Delete
  4. Great picture, What a shame I haven't been there. Luckily I can see your great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. There are some other topiary on the side of the highway as well.

      Delete
  6. Oh I am still laughing about your Aunt M that is so funny. This is a lovely place and I cannot imagine a lake being completely dry than not dry we have never had that here. Your photos are incredible. Hug xo G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny.
      Was strange re lake going dry, nature I suppose.
      Hugs M xox

      Delete
  7. I like the topiary animals. I saw some in London last fall, the first ones I've ever seen in person.
    Interesting story about the lake. I wonder what it looked like without water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the link - the animals are very realistic, I especially like the way they are posed beside the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Rosemary.
      There a more on the highway but unfortunately they are not in a good place to stop to take a photos of them.

      Delete

Thank you for calling and your comment.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop