Thursday 18 July 2013

The Daisy Reader!

Excitement in the house when the Daisy Reader arrived from Vision Australia for my blind father.
Pay a fee for one year or x amount of dollars per month and, receive the Reader along with 3 DVD books that read to you by Australian volunteers who like to read any kind of book to be recorded.
When the disc's are returned 3 more are received. Book a certain novel or whatever book you like online or phone, and these will arrive when free along with the normal 3. There is a time limit to when they are to be returned.  The cost is free to and from Vision Australia Library.
My father is having great fun and has already read about 5 books in his Daisy Reader. Each time I walk into his lounge room when I am staying there each week, it's SHHHH!!
Some of the DVD'S go for 20 minutes - over 9 hours, of course depending on what or how long the novel/story is.


The purple slot in the front is where the Disc goes.


John Curtin was a Prime Minister of Australia. John was born in Tasmania.

9 comments:

  1. That's fantastic!! AND encouraging ... I can't imagine a world without books and one of my greatest fears is losing my vision. It's great to know that if the worst happens, there'll still be access to books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh M we live in a wonderful time of life when such things are available for people to use and improve there everyday lives. I love that. Take care my dear friend. HUG G

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be a great tool for your father. Top.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's fabulous..he can hear so that is a blessing :)

      Delete
  4. What a fab idea for vision impaired people. I hope your dad gets many happy hours from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that he enjoys this. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for calling and your comment.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." Aesop